When holidays roll around, kids and adults who follow any type of “free-from” diet can feel a bit left out, and Easter is no exception. Baskets loaded with milk chocolate and marshmallow peeps become the enemy rather than an indulgence. Luckily, specialty food manufacturers have been popping up everywhere to offer delicious (and affordable) treats for vegans and other special diet consumers:
Sjaak’s Bunnies & Cream Eggs: The people at Sjaak’s never forget their vegan clientèle around the holidays. For Easter they wanted to make sure those who live without dairy and eggs won’t have to sacrifice chocolate bunnies:
- Organic Vegan Truffle Cream Eggs – A five piece bag wrapped in festive foil
- Organic Vegan Chocolate Sitting Bunny
- Organic Vegan Chocolate Basket with Bunny and Eggs
- Organic Vegan Chocolate Easter Eggs – A 12 piece bag wrapped in festive foil.
- Organic Vegan Nuts & Chews Spring box – A 9 piece assortment of caramels (yes, they are dairy-free!), nut clusters and toffees.
How to Purchase: For some odd reason, Whole Foods is not carrying their Easter line. However, these festive sweets can be purchased using the order form on Sjaak’s website, or online through Vegan Essentials.
Bella’s Easter Cookies: Every “major” holiday, the folks at Bella’s roll out a special line of festive cookies. Since their regular line of vegan cookies has been getting so much attention, they decided to introduce three for easter:
- Vegan Coconut Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Gingerbunnies (gingerbread bunnies, sprinkled w/ organic confectioners sugar)
How to Purchase: Order your cookies direct from Bella’s online, or via phone, 302-684-8152
Allen’s Simply Delicious Vegan “Milk” Chocolate: This little chocolate shop boasts an impressive array of chocolates for various diets. Of particular note is their vegan line-up:
- Dairy-Free Belgian “Milk” Chocolates made with rice milk powder including Truffles (cherry crisp, mint, coconut), Bars (plain, hazelnut), and Almond Bark
- Coconut Milk Chocolate Fudge
- Easter Shaped Chocolates (various sizes available)
- Allen’s Belgian Chocolate Licorice Bar (another one that is too cool not to mention, gluten-free and vegan)
How to Purchase: Call Allen’s Gourmet Candies to order direct, (250) 352-7890. They will promptly ship to locations throughout the U.S. and Canada. Gluten-free and sugar-free chocolate goodies are also available.
Sweet Earth Chocolate Bunnies & Eggs: If you like your chocolate bunnies to come with a conscience, then Sweet Earth is the place to shop. Their organic, fair trade guarantee delivers high-quality dark chocolates in cute and tasty shapes:
- Dark Chocolate Easter Eggs
- Dark Chocolate Easter Bunnies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cups (not traditional Easter, but how could I not mention them!)
How to Purchase: Order eggs, bunnies, and PB cups direct from Sweet Earth Chocolates online.
Now that your baskets are brimming over with chocolate and cookies, we can discuss the straight sugar injection…candy. Check back soon, as my next dairy-free update promises organic, vegan, and food allergy-friendly candy to fill those plastic Easter eggs.