Kookie Karma’s Raw Carob Truffle Cookie is a truly indulgent experience. Though I could easily have eaten just half, I found myself unable to resist eating the entire cookie in one sitting. Thank goodness there was only one cookie in front of me, as this is one intense treat.
I was once a big fan of carob malt-balls before realizing that most contain dairy, hydrogenated oils, or both. I was anxious to trial a new carob flavored food, and Kookie Karma didn’t disappoint. The overall flavor was remarkably similar to my old favorites, yet the ingredients were not even close. I am still shocked when I read the bizarre mix that turns this cookie into a truffle like treat: carob powder (not surprising), almonds (sure), organic agave nectar (okay), organic cold-pressed olive oil (?), organic dried olives(???), sea salt.
The texture of the Truffle Cookie is quite smooth, with only a few specks of chopped almonds throughout. It has a very dense consistency, offering a more fudge-like experience. Oddly enough, this is one of Kookie Karma’s lowest fat varieties. It is a bit steep in sugar, but an excellent source of calcium and iron. Best of all, a little goes a long way.
- Pros: Vegan; Raw; Made with mostly organic ingredients; Gluten-free; Soy-free; Low in sodium; Trans fat-free; Contains no refined sugars or flours; Good source of calcium
- Cons: Quite high in overall sugar, though the sweeteners used are low glycemic
- Carob Fans Seeking a Non-Hydrogenated Treat
Where to Buy:
- Online – www.kookiekarma.com
- In Stores – Select stores in the U.S.