This recipe for chicken and sweet potato stew is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Devon Delaney. For the creamy peanut butter base, Devon uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: African Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, tree nut-free, and soy-free.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon all-spice
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 16-ounce can sweet potatoes, drained, cut in ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage
- ¼ cup mango chutney
- ⅓ cup smooth peanut butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, garlic, onion, all-spice and cayenne to the soup pot and cook for 7 minutes until chicken is browning and cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, chutney and peanut butter to the soup pot and bring up to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir in parsley, heat through and serve with peanuts sprinkled on top.