These air fryer sweet potato fries are bound to become a dinner regular at your home. Of course, you can roast them in the oven if you don’t have an air fryer. They’ll be equally delicious. Though we think an air fryer is a little more fun! And they do help to ensure a more even cook. If you bake them in the oven, watch carefully. Sliced sweet potatoes are a bit like nuts – they can go from perfectly toasted to burned in an instant. Trust me – I’ve charred my share of sweet potato fries.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Spicy Pineapple Dipping Sauce
These sweet pommes frites are a feature recipe from Dole’s most recent partnership with Disney. They’ve created several French-influenced, family-friendly dishes with inspiration from the Pixar film, Ratatouille.
Where French fries are actually from is up for debate. The French, Dutch, and even Latin Americans lay claim to this delicious invention. And truth be told, sweet potato fries (and pineapple) are much more common in the Americas. But we really don’t care who made them first – we’re just happy they did. And you can definitely find fries on nearly any French restaurant menu.
Special Diet Notes: Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Pineapple Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup finely chopped pineapple
- 3 tablespoons + ¼ cup water, divided
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1½ teaspoons + 1 tablespoon non-GMO cornstarch, divided (can sub arrowroot starch)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into ½-inch thick slices, then sliced ¼-inch thick crosswise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Put the pineapple, 3 tablespoons water, vinegar, jalapeño, honey, and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, or until pineapple is very tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ¼ cup water and 1½ teaspoons cornstarch until the starch is dissolved.
- Whisk the starch slurry into the pineapple mixture. Increase the heat to medium, bring the mixture to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Preheat a 3.3-quart or larger air fryer to 375°F for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potatoes, remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, oil, salt, garlic powder, and chipotle powder until evenly coated.
- Transfer the fries to you air fryer basket and air fry 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are crisp and fork-tender, shaking the basket every 5 minutes.
- Serve the sweet potato fries with the pineapple dipping sauce.
No Air Fryer? You can bake these sweet potato fries in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking pan at 400°F for 25 minutes or until browned and crisp, turning once.