We’ve been talking a lot about Blaire Wilson, American Girl’s 2019 Girl of the Year, who happens to be dairy-free. Blaire is lactose intolerant, a topic that’s well covered in both Book One, Blaire, and Book Two, Blaire Cooks Up a Plan. But the latter book weaves three dairy-free recipes into the story line. My milk allergic daughter and I decided to try the recipe for Eli’s Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Brownies from Blaire Cooks Up a Plan.
American Girl Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Brownies of the Year
This chocolate chip brownies recipe is not only dairy-free, it’s also egg-free and vegan. But it’s still a very indulgent treat that everyone will enjoy.
The Perfect Taste & Texture
These brownies are dense and have a rich chocolate flavor that isn’t too sweet. They have a fudgy, almost creamy center with a crisp, flaky exterior and a crunchy crust. While the center is soft, the brownies hold their shape when cut. Since trying them, my family has declared that this is their new favorite brownie recipe.
The original recipe said to bake the brownies for just 30 to 35 minutes, but ours took a full 40 minutes. I would begin checking them at 35 minutes to see if they look set. The toothpick test works pretty well, but you might see some melted chocolate from the chocolate chips when testing.
Kids Can Help Make these Brownies
Katherine is now a teen, so she can make this whole recipe on her own, but we still like to bake together. Younger kids can help grease the pan, measure and mix the ingredients, and pour the batter. Adults or older kids who are kitchen savvy can step in to handle the baking process.
Special Diet Notes: American Girl Chocolate Chip Brownies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup extra-light olive oil, non-GMO canola oil, or your baking oil of choice
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup plain or unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (the book recommends Enjoy Life chocolate chips)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, maples syrup, milk beverage, and vanilla.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan and level it out.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Have an adult remove the pan from the oven.
- Let the brownies cool completely before cutting into squares.