This recipe for dairy-free flan cake is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Pam Correll. To qualify, the recipe includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Flan Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup fruit juice
- 1 ½ cups mixed berries, or any desired fruit
- Grease Flan Pan (see not for cupcake option). Cover the center with a circle of wax paper. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the coconut oil and sugar. Add eggs, almond milk, and vanilla. Beat well.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the large mixing bowl, and beat to combine.
- Bake 25 minutes, until cake is golden brown and appears set. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan onto a serving dish and cool completely.
- While cake is baking, combine sugar, cornstarch, and fruit juice in a 1 quart sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. It will turn from cloudy to clear. Cool 5 minutes.
- Arrange fruit on top of cooled cake. Pour topping over fruit.