This healthier than healthy colorful kale pinwheels recipe sounds intriguing. Meatout Mondays altered it from the VegHawaii site, whose original version had the option of 1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast as a flavor enhancer. Oh yes, and thanks to the kale, this is one of those surprising full-of-calcium foods!
Special Diet Notes: Colorful Kale Pinwheels
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free: use brown rice or corn tortillas, or favorite gluten-free tortilla.
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoons Dijon or brown mustard
- 1 package of large whole wheat tortillas
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Peel kale leaves away from stem with a knife or by hand.
- In an oiled pan, sauté kale leaves, onion, and garlic until soft. Season with salt and pepper (to taste) while cooking.
- Drain off excess liquid and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Spread tortillas with mustard and cover with kale mixture.
- Firmly roll up (in jellyroll fashion). Trim off ends and slice into ½ – ¾- inch pinwheels.
- Lay flat and serve on a platter.