Special Diet Notes: Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Spinach, Bacon and Pine Nuts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free.
- 4 large field or Portobello mushrooms
- 50 grams pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 rashers bacon, smoked or unsmoked, finely chopped (optional)
- 300 grams fresh spinach, washed and heavy stalks removed
- 6 tablespoon fresh breadcrumbs (from bread made without milk or eggs)
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180/C. Carefully cut out the centre stem of the mushrooms. Lay the pine nuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 3-4 minutes until just beginning to colour, taking care not to let them burn. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan and fry the shallots and bacon pieces, if using, until soft but not coloured, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach leaves, cover the pan and cook for a minute or two until leaves have wilted. (No need to add extra water ? the water on the leaves will be enough to cook the spinach.)
- Place the cooked spinach mixture between two plates and squeeze out as much water as you can. Chop the cooked spinach roughly and place in a bowl, along with the toasted pine nuts, 4 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs, nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the mushrooms, lightly pressing the spinach stuffing into the cup. Mix the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and two remaining tablespoons of breadcrumbs together and scatter over the filling.
- Place the mushrooms on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of fresh salad leaves, lightly dressed with a lemon vinaigrette.