Isn’t this just the most adorable snack ever? I’d heard of dipping apple fries in peanut butter, but crafting them into this healthy little package is too much fun. This apple fries recipe is perfect for lunch boxes and a big hit for fall.
This apple fries recipe was a winner in the Jif Most Creative Sandwich Contest™, and is filled with wholesome ingredients and easy to customize to almost any diet.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Apple Fries Sandwich
This recipe is naturally dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, soy-free, and vegan, so long as you are selective with your ingredients! See my granola recipes post for ideas, and use Enjoy Life mini-chips for an allergen-free option. Also, double check the tortilla ingredients – any manufactured food can have a sneaky ingredient or two!
For Gluten-Free: Be sure to use a granola with certified gluten-free oats and no added gluten-containing ingredients. For store-bought, Enjoy Life, Udi’s, and Bakery on Main have good options. And though I haven’t tried either yet, I’ve heard good things about New Grains Gluten-Free Flour Tortillas and La Tortilla Factory Gluten-Free Tortillas.
For Peanut-Free and/or Nut-Free: Our peanut-free teen likes almond butter and WowButter, but you can opt for SunButter, PeaButter, or your favorite nut butter – whatever suits your diet and/or allergies best! All will work beautifully in place of the peanut butter in this recipe. Also, be sure to omit any nuts when making your granola, or if purchasing, look for nut-safe brands like Enjoy Life Granola.
- 1 8-inch tortilla (wheat or gluten-free - see post above for suggestions)
- 3 tablespoons all-natural creamy peanut butter, divided (see post above for nut-free options)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dairy-free granola (broken into small chunks)
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- 1 large apple
- Lemon juice, optional
- Lay the tortilla flat on a plate. Spread 2 tablespoons of the peanut butter in a 4-inch circle in the top center of tortilla (start about 2 inches down from top).
- Sprinkle the granola and chocolate chips on top of the peanut butter and lightly press in.
- Cut the apple into French fry shapes (about ¼ to ½-inch wide, long pieces). If you won't be serving immediately, drizzle the apple slices with a squeeze of lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Lay the apple fries vertically on top of the peanut butter circle, stacking as necessary to fit them all in..
- Spread the remaining 1 tablespoon of peanut butter to line the bottom edges of the tortilla.
- Fold up the bottom half of the tortilla to cover half of apple fries. Take the right side of tortilla and fold in. Take left side and fold in as well, overlapping the right side. Dab some peanut butter to “glue” the sides together.
- To eat, pull out the apple fries one by one and/or eat like a sandwich.