I find it a little odd that National Apple Pie Day falls on May 13th, but I guess Memorial Day and 4th of July trump Thanksgiving in this case. In honor of this not-so-sacred event, we’ve got some fun and delicious apple pie empanadas. This fun dessert is sweetened solely with maple syrup and is the perfect treat to serve to kids and adults at potlucks, barbecues, and other gatherings. The recipe is dairy-free, but please see my notes below on the dough.
This apple pie empanadas recipe with photo was shared with us by Produce for Kids. They’re currently offering a free e-book download with meal-planning ideas at themissionfornutrition.com. It isn’t completely dairy-free, but the recipes are easy to adapt.
Special Diet Notes: Apple Pie Empanadas
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 4 cups peeled, sliced Gala apples
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon non-GMO cornstarch (can sub arrowroot starch)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 frozen dairy-free empanada shells (see Dough Note below), thawed
- 1 large egg white, beaten (see Vegan Option below)
- Heat a skillet over low heat. Add the apples, maple, starch, and cinnamon. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the apples are tender.
- Line the center of each empanada shell with apples. Fold the shell over top of the apples and use a fork to press the edges together and seal. Brush the tops of the empanadas with the beaten egg white.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sealed empanadas on your prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Vegan Option: You can substitute the egg wash with dairy-free milk beverage, dairy-free milk beverage whisked with maple syrup (2 tablespoons to 1 teaspoon), or melted dairy-free buttery spread.
Air Fryer Option: Preheat your air fryer to 375°F. Grease the air fryer basket. Add the sealed empanadas to the basket and cook for 8 minutes, or until golden brown.