Just a little naughty but very nice, this tender apple spice bread is lower in fat and sugars than your average sweet quick bread. It’s also made with part whole wheat flour, and naturally free of dairy and nuts. Plus, the recipe is easy to adapt to be egg-free and vegan. In fact, I’ve included a couple options below.
This recipe and photo for Apple Spice Bread was shared with us by aicr.org.
Special Diet Notes: Apple Spice Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For vegan apple spice bread, substitute a scant 1/4 cup applesauce for the egg, and increase the baking powder to 2 1/8 teaspoons. Alternatively, you can use 1 egg replacer.
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and grated (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar (can sub coconut sugar for less sweet)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (see post above for Vegan Option)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Flour the bottom of the pan.
- Put grated apples and lemon juice in a medium bowl and toss to coat.
- Put the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Make a well in the center.
- Add the brown sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla to the apples and stir well to combine.
- Pour the apple mixture into the well of the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared loaf pan and even it out.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before carefully removing it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days, or freeze to enjoy later.
Key Pantry Supplies: Apple Spice Bread
That’s great! Thanks for sharing your successful subs Meghan!
This recipe was fantastic!
This was probably the most delicious bread i’ve made to date.
To make it egg-free I used flax egg & to make it gluten free I used oat flour. I also put some lemon zest in along with the lemon juice. I put in 1/4 organic maple syrup, and 1/4 brown sugar to cut out the sweetness. Added a bit of coconut flakes to the top & It turned out so good even with these alterations.
Thanks so much!!