This vegan apple sweet potato pie recipe was submitted by Hidemi for the Go Dairy Free / ZenSoy Recipe Contest in January 2011. it is not only dairy-free, but also completely egg-free and vegan.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Apple Sweet Potato Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 small apples (golden delicious
- 1 sweet potato (about ⅔ lb)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk beverage (plain or vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make pie crust. In a bowl, combine all purpose four and olive oil. Form the dough into a ball. wrap in a plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In the mean time, peel apples and cut 1 apple into thin slices. Cut the other apple into half inch cubes.
- In a frying pan, heat vegetable oil and cook apples for 1 minutes. Cover and reduce heat and simmer until tender. Then add cinnamon powder, stir and turn the heat off. Let them cool.
- Peel sweet potato and cut into small cubes. Boil until tender and mash.
- In a bowl, combine maple syrup, Zen soy milk and vanilla extract. Mix well. Add cooked apples and mix until well coated. Then take apples out of the bowl and place on the plate dividing sliced apples and cubed apples. Once you remove the apples, take the remaining syrup and add to the mashed sweet potato. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap the dough, roll the dough into a circle ¼ inch thick on lightly floured surface and place it into 9 inch pie pan. Press the pastry into the pan with fingertips. With knife, trim the overhang dough and poke holes in bottom and side of crust.
- Spread the half of mashed sweet potato on the crust and place cubed apples, then spread the rest of mashed sweet potato. Lastly, place sliced apples on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes