Many years ago, I stumbled upon a fabulous 5-star recipe for applesauce pancakes on AllRecipes. It was easy to adapt for dairy free, and the stacks are delicious topped with maple syrup, warm honey, apple butter, or fresh fruit. Today, I’m updating this old recipe post for easier use and with some recommendations!
Some popular dairy-free pancake mix options include Bisquick, Bisquick Heart Smart, Annie’s Organic, and Bob’s Red Mill Organic 7-Grain. Avoid “Complete” pancake mixes that just call for water. They will produce a batter that is too thin. We haven’t tested a gluten-free version of this recipe, but it might work with a gluten-free pancake mix, like Gluten-Free Bisquick.
Special Diet Notes: Easy Applesauce Pancakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups dairy-free dry pancake mix (see intro)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pancake mix and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of the pancake mix. Add the eggs, applesauce, milk beverage, and lemon juice and stir until smooth.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto your prepared griddle, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake. Cook until golden on the bottom and bubbles burst and stay open on top, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Dairy-Free Pancake Mixes