Updated! The mere suggestion of vegan coffee cake gives me this warm feeling of satisfaction. It’s a true comfort dessert that pleases all but the pickiest of people. And best of all, for me at least, it contains not a drop of coffee. Intended for enjoying at breakfast with a hot cuppa joe or in the afternoon with a spot of tea, coffee cake is typically a rich white cake adorned with a wonderful streusel topping, and in this case, filling.
Of course, your average coffee cake contains at least a couple of eggs and a hefty dose of dairy, but Tami Noyes, author of American Vegan Kitchen decided to share her equally indulgent recipe for vegan coffee cake.
Tami ensures us that this recipe will please all, “Moist and delicious, this coffee cake can be made a day or two ahead of time to make your Easter breakfast or brunch even easier. That is, if you hide it!”
Special Diet Notes: Around-the-Clock Vegan Coffee Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance), diced
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dairy-free sour cream alternative
- 1 to 2 tablespoons plain dairy-free milk beverage (your choice of type), if needed
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the margarine, using your fingers to blend it in until it resembles peas.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a 10-inch tube pan or a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a blender, combine the flaxseed and water and blend until frothy and thick.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and margarine. Use an electric mixer to cream them until fluffy. Add the flax mixture and the vanilla. Mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. Add half of the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture and mix until combined. Add the sour cream and remaining dry ingredients. Mix well to combine. The mixture should be thick but pourable. If it is too thick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk beverage.
- Spoon about two-thirds of the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with half of the topping. Spoon the remaining batter on top and spread as evenly as possible. Sprinkle with the remaining topping.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. If using a tube pan, remove the cake from the pan once it has cooled. If using a square pan, serve the cake from the pan.