This Asian braised chicken recipe is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Hidemi Walsh. In this recipe, Hidemi uses Almond Plus Protein AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Asian Braised Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, and peanut-free.
For gluten-free and dairy-free Asian braised chicken, use wheat-free tamari ini place of the soy sauce. It is a seamless swap.
Though it wouldn’t be the same “with almond milk” dish, for tree nut-free and dairy-free Asian braised chicken, So Delicious offers Coconut Milk Beverage that can be used in place of the AlmondMilk.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (see note above for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions, green parts only
- Cooked jasmine rice, to serve
- Rinse chicken thighs under cold running water and pat to dry with paper towel. Cut each chicken thigh into bite size.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and cook garlic over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add chicken thighs and cook until brown.
- Stir in soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, add almond milk to the skillet and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Take the bay leaf out and stir in minced scallions.
- Serve with cooked jasmine rice.