I originally made this asparagus chicken recipe so long ago, that I have no idea where it came from! It’s a classic stir fry recipe, so I could have adapted it from any number of magazines (I used to be quite the collector). But Sarah recently brought the recipe back to life. She made it for her family, took these great photos, and shared her feedback …
I was looking for a new way to enjoy asparagus before the season is over, and and I came across this recipe for Asparagus Chicken. What a great find! This recipe couldn’t be simpler, and it has a great flavor. The marinade, which becomes the sauce for the dish, reminds me of the white sauce made by my local Chinese buffet. The restaurant has a chicken and vegetables dish with a mild white sauce that I crave when I’m under the weather. This Asparagus Chicken tastes just like it!
This recipe is easily doubled, but keep in mind that doubling it will extend the cooking time by 5-10 minutes. We enjoyed the Asparagus Chicken with basmati rice. As I already mentioned, this is a very mild chicken and vegetable dish. A few red pepper flakes or a dash of sriracha will spice it up for those who want a bit of heat.
Special Diet Notes: Asparagus Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
For soy-free asparagus chicken, you can swap in coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or wheat-free tamari (for gluten-free), plus additional for serving
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 whole boneless skinless chicken breast (about 1 lb), cut into ¼-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil (like peanut or non-GMO canola)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and diagonally sliced
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Combine the cornstarch, water, soy sauce, garlic, and sugar in a dish or large ziploc bag. Shake or stir until the starch dissolves. Add the chicken and put it in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and marinade, plus the asparagus. Stir fry for roughly 3 minutes, or until all of the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice with soy sauce on the side.