With asparagus and bell pepper season in full swing, you won’t want to miss out on trialing this asparagus frittata recipe. It was originally shared with us from Vegetarian Times. It uses a unique combination of eggs and tofu.
Special Diet Notes: Asparagus Frittata
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
- 4 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (can sub 1 teaspoon gluten-free tamari)
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper strips
- ½ cup onion, cut in rings
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- Put the tofu in a medium bowl and mash it with a fork. Add the egg and egg whites, turmeric, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Put the tomato sauce in a small saucepan over low heat. Gently warm it.
- Pu the asparagus, bell pepper, and onion in a steamer basket and steam until just tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the vegetables to the tofu-egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Heat the oil in a 9-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it sizzles. Tilt the skillet to coat it evenly.
- Pour in the tofu-egg mixture all at once, and then reduce heat to medium-low. As eggs begin to set up, push the cooked portion aside with a spatula to let uncooked portion run under. Repeat as the eggs set up. Cook until the eggs are cooked throughout but still glossy and moist, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the frittata onto a plate and serve with the tomato sauce.