This dairy-free quiche recipe was a Grand Prize Recipe Contest Winner. It was a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Phyllis Shustak of Simply 123 Allergy Free. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 core ingredients or less, but includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Special Diet Notes: Asparagus and Leek Dairy-Free Quiche
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Just use caution when selecting a dairy-free cheese alternative, if using in your dairy-free quiche. Phyllis uses Daiya, and I chose to test it with Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Shreds, which are also top 8-free.
Alisa’s Notes: I tested this recipe and found it to be a true winner, which is why I’m recommending it in the “Alisa’s Recipes” section. Though quite different from traditional (it is far healthier and lower in fat than your average quiche), this dairy-free quiche has a wonderful flavor with or without the cheese alternative – I tested it both ways. The cheese alternative does kick things up a notch, but it is a tasty and easy to devour dish without. Note that this is a very light egg dish, which you could easily enjoy on weekdays (I did!). If you want a little more richness in your dairy-free quiche, I recommend trialing Culinary Coconut Milk in place of the coconut milk beverage.
- 1 ready-made frozen gluten free pie shell (Phyllis uses Wholly Wholesome's gluten free pie shell, which is also vegan and allergy-friendly)*
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 medium leek, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 large eggs
- ⅔ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- ½ cup Daiya Shredded Cheddar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Thaw pie shell for 10 minutes.
- Prick bottom and sides of shell with a fork.
- Bake shell for 10 minutes.
- Let cool for approximately 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- In a medium frying pan saute asparagus and leeks in olive oil on medium heat for 5 minutes; add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Pour into pie shell. Break eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork; pour on top of vegetable mixture.
- Add coconut milk beverage, salt, pepper, chives and cheese alternative (if desired). Stir lightly to combine all the ingredients.
- Place quiche on a cookie sheet to protect oven should quiche boil over.
- Place in the oven on the center rack and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until center sets.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Serve or refrigerate for up to 3 days.