This recipe for asparagus tempura is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Tina Coopman. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Yogurt and Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Asparagus Tempura with Garlic Cilantro Dip
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. For soy-free asparagus tempura, use a soy-free oil – many vegetable oils are soy-based.
- 4-6 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 12 thin spears asparagus, or 6 thick spears halved lengthwise
- Lemon wedges, optional
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Yogurt
- ⅓ cup lightly packed cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 green onion, diced
- Heat approximately 3-4 inches of oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat, or heat in deep fryer until temperature is 350°F.
- While oil is heating combine ingredients for dip and set aside.
- Back on the asparagus tempura - in a mixing bowl add flour and salt, whisking in the milk. Trim woody ends of asparagus. Dip the asparagus in batter and then drop into the oil. Cook for roughly 2 minutes or until the batter is just golden. Remove onto a plate lined with paper towel to drain oil.
- Serve with dip and lemon wedge, if desired.