This dairy-free avocado crab salad reminds me of a cross between California rolls and ceviche. It’s made with a combination of real crab, avocado, fresh vegetables, and a lime cilantro dressing. Try to avoid imitation crab meat. It not only tastes inferior, it’s also typically loaded with top allergens. When made with fresh crab meat, this delicious salad is free of dairy, gluten, nuts, soy, and optionally egg. It’s even friendly to paleo and keto diets!
Avocado Crab Salad that’s Fresh, Flavorful, and Allergy-Friendly
I was pleased when food writer Cate O’Malley shared this dairy-free avocado crab salad recipe with us.
When I first saw the inaugural issue of Garden Plate magazine, I picked it up excitedly. A magazine all about food in New Jersey? I’m so there. For those not in the know, New Jersey is referred to as the “Garden State,” so hence, Garden Plate. I loved the magazine’s name.
The June/July issue had a feature on avocado, and included a handful of recipes. As soon as I saw the Avocado Crab Salad, I knew what dinner would be. This delicious salad is perfect for keeping your kitchen cool on a hot day, it’s on the table in mere minutes, and it’s light, refreshing and healthy.
The magazine is no longer in print, but thanks to Cate, this naturally dairy-free avocado crab salad recipe lives on. We’ve also updated it with some of Cate’s suggestions and a couple options.
Special Diet Notes: Avocado Crab Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, paleo, and may suit some keto diets.
- 1 cup cooked lump crabmeat
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ cucumber, diced or 2 jalapeño peppers, deseeded and minced
- ¼ onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Greens, for serving
- Add the crab, avocado, tomato, cucumber or jalapeño, onion, cilantro, and garlic to medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil or mayo, salt, and pepper until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the crab salad and gently toss to coat.
- Serve the crab salad with garnish or small bed of greens.