This super-fresh recipe and accompanying photo were shared with us by Whole Foods in honor of their big avocado sale. Each of these avocado, lettuce and tomato pita pockets is spiked with red wine vinegar and topped with fresh basil leaves. You can “beef” it up with your favorite flavorful additions, like roasted bell peppers, tempeh or bacon (even vegan bacon!).
Special Diet Notes: Avocado, Lettuce and Tomato Pitas
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to pick your pita pockets wisely, as some do contain allergens.
For gluten-free avocado, lettuce and tomato pitas try this allergen-free pita bread recipe by Cybele Pascal or this popular gluten-free pita bread recipe (use milk alternative in place of the milk) by the Baking Beauties.
- 1 large ripe avocado, pit removed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Pinch fine sea salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 2 whole-grain pita pockets
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado flesh with the vinegar, salt and pepper until smooth. Season to taste with additional salt and/or pepper, if desired.
- Cut the pita pockets in half.
- Stuff the pita pockets with the lettuce leaves and basil.
- Evenly divide the avocado mixture between the pita pockets, spreading it on the lettuce leaves.
- Add 2 tomato slices to each pocket. Devour.