Savory soup makes an easy anytime meal for warming up on chilly days, packing in healthy ingredients, and enjoying naturally dairy-free flavors. This bacon lentil soup covers all the bases, and is also a delicious way to enjoy convenience from your pantry.
This recipe with photo for bacon lentil soup was shared with us by CansGetYouCooking.com.
Special Diet Notes: Bacon Lentil Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
For vegan bacon lentil soup, cook vegan bacon according to the package directions and crumble. There won’t be as much residual fat, so add up to 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan to cook the vegetables and add a little richness to the broth.
- 2 slices bacon, diced (see post above for vegan option)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can lentils, drained
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced new potatoes, drained
- 1 14-ounce can sliced carrots, drained
- 1 8-ounce can cut green beans, drained
- Cook the bacon in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Cook the onion and garlic in the bacon in the bacon drippings until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cumin and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, broth, potatoes, carrots and green beans and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle the soup into two bowls and top with the bacon to serve.
More Easy Nourishing Homemade Soups
Rustic Vegetable Soup with Gremolata (vegan, gluten-free, allergy-friendly & paleo)
Mom’s Best Turkey Vegetable Soup (gluten-free, allergy-friendly & optionally vegan)
Hearty Autumn Vegetable and Chickpea Soup (gluten-free, allergy-friendly & optionally vegan)