As we head toward the holidays this year, I’ll be sharing more delicious side dishes. Some of them will be alternatives to old dairy-rich favorites, and some will be naturally dairy-free and delicious, like these bacon roasted brussels sprouts from my cookbook, Eat Dairy Free.
Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts that Everyone Will Want to Eat
For many years, my husband wouldn’t touch a brussels sprout. Even when I roasted them, and swore he would like them, he positively refused to take a bite. So one day I used his beloved bacon to roast them. He couldn’t resist, he had to try it. And you know what, he loved them.
Bacon was definitely the gateway food needed to get my husband to give those mini cabbages another chance. Now he likes them roasted (without bacon!), sautéed, and even steamed. But we still make this bacon roasted brussels sprouts side dish when we are craving something a little special.
Special Diet Notes: Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, keto-friendly, and paleo-friendly. But as noted, make sure you pick the bacon that suits your dietary needs.
- 1½ pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved or quartered (see Brussels Sprouts Note below)
- 3 slices uncooked bacon, cut into small ½-inch pieces (see Bacon Note below)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the sprouts on the prepared baking sheet. Top with the bacon pieces, oil, salt, and several shakes of pepper. Stir to evenly distribute the ingredients (the small pieces of bacon should stick to the sprouts).
- Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring once at 15 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the sprouts are tender and just starting to caramelize around the edges.
Bacon Note: Bacon can contain top allergens, so verify the ingredients before purchasing. I use uncured, nitrate-free bacon, like Niman Ranch or Applegate. Thick cut also works well.