Simple baja fish tacos get a sweet and spicy upgrade with freshly made watermelon guacamole in this flavorful recipe twist. It’s perfect for al fresco entertaining from spring right through summer and can be prepared indoors or on the grill.
This recipe and photo for baja fish tacos was shared with us by www.watermelon.org.
Watermelon may not seem like a natural pairing in these baja fish tacos, but it’s sweet flavor and juiciness are perfect for cutting the heat of spicier foods, while adding the perfect crunch to the overall dish.
Special Diet Notes: Baja Fish Tacos
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
For paleo baja fish tacos, serve the filling in lettuce wraps instead of tortillas or make your own grain-free, paleo tortillas.
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons diced jalapeno pepper (or to taste)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups diced watermelon
- Salt, to taste
- Cooking spray
- 1½ pounds cod
- Chili powder, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 12–16 corn tortillas
- 3–4 cups commercial coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- ½–1 cup commercial salsa
- 1 cup diced watermelon
- For the guacamole, mash the avocados tin a medium bowl until a mixture of smooth and chunky. Add the cilantro, green chilies, lime, jalapeno, and garlic and mix thoroughly.
- Add 1½ cups diced watermelon and salt (if desired) and toss. Cover and refrigerate to let flavors blend.
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Place the cod on your prepared sheet and sprinkle with chili powder and salt. Bake for 12–20 minutes (depending on thickness of fish) or until cooked through.
- Cut the cod into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the tortillas on grill or griddle. Top each with few pieces of fish, ¼ cup coleslaw mix, heaping spoonful of guacamole, tablespoon of salsa and few pieces of remaining diced watermelon.
Pingback: A Week of Dairy-Free Meals
Absolutely love fish tacos, but have never had them with watermelon or watermelon guacamole. So intrigued!
I love fish as my protein source in tacos but whoa…WATERMELON guac? Genius.
I know, huh?
Great idea to put watermelon in the guacamole! These sound so tasty!
Wow! Those tacos look so amazing!
fish tacos aw one of our favorite meals! I really like your recipe, especially the watermelon salsa!! Saving & sharing 🙂