This delightful baked dairy-free French toast recipe is infused with maple, cinnamon, and spices for a flavorful brunch treat straight from the oven. You can lay the bread in a single layer for slice-style French toast, or overlap them for a souffle-like casserole.
Photo by Sarah Hatfield.
Special Diet Notes: Baked Dairy-Free French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. For egg-free and vegan baked French toast, see our Baked Vegan French Toast Recipe or Maple French Toast Casserole Recipe.
- 8 to 12 slices crusty bread, at least 1-inch thick (gluten-free, if needed)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- Powdered sugar, nut or seed butter, or fresh fruit, to serve (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Place the bread snugly into the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the milk beverage, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread.
- Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown and the center is set.
- Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, drizzled with maple syrup or nut butter, or topped with fresh fruit.