This delightful baked dairy-free French toast recipe is infused with maple, cinnamon, and spices for a flavorful brunch treat straight from the oven. It’s a no fuss recipe, which takes just a few minutes to prepare, so you can relax as it bakes.
Photo by Sarah Hatfield
Easy Baked Dairy-Free French Toast made with Maple Syrup
This dishis not only simple to make, it’s also quite versatile. Here are some notes and tips for making this baked dairy-free French toast recipe your own.
French Toast Slices or Casserole
We lay the bread in a in a single layer for slice-style French toast, but you can alternatively overlap the slices for a soufflé-like casserole. If you stick with the slice option, you can actually freeze any leftovers and pop them in the toaster on busy mornings.
Sweeten How You Like It
We infuse the toast with maple for a warm, sweet depth in flavor. But you can substitute another liquid sweetener if you don’t have any maple on hand. If you prefer lower sugar, you can also reduce it a touch.
Your Choice of Bread
Stale bread actually works best for dishes like baked French toast slices, since it soaks up more liquid. So it’s okay if you’re bread isn’t super fresh. You can use a nice white bread or baguette, a whole grain bread for more protein, or gluten-free bread, if needed.
Special Diet Notes: Baked Dairy-Free French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. For egg-free and vegan baked French toast, see our Baked Vegan French Toast Recipe or Maple French Toast Casserole Recipe.
- 12 slices crusty bread, at least 1-inch thick (gluten-free, if needed)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- Powdered sugar, nut or seed butter, or fresh fruit, to serve (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Place the bread snugly into the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the milk beverage, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread.
- Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown and the center is set.
- Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, drizzled with maple syrup or nut butter, or topped with fresh fruit.