This recipe for baked falafel sandwiches was an Honorable Mention Winner in the Best Everyday Eats category of The Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, hosted here on Go Dairy Free, and sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Created and submitted by Emily Vallozzi, these baked falafel sandwiches are easy to make ahead, nutritious, and vegetarian. Their light tasting and low fat nature makes them a perfect meal for the transition into warmer spring weather and in preparation for swimsuit season! To add a creamy finish while keeping it dairy-free, Emily uses almond milk yogurt in the delicious savory sauce.
Special Diet Notes: Baked Falafel Sandwiches
For nut-free and dairy-free baked falafel sandwiches, you can substitute Coconut Milk Greek-Style Yogurt.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ of an onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 6-ounce carton So Delicious Greek Plain Cultured Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon onion, grated
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup of lettuce
- 1 cup of tomato, chopped and seeded
- 4 whole-wheat pita pocket breads, sliced open
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Combine all ingredients in a food processor except 1 tablespoon of
- olive oil. Pulse until all ingredients are combined. Form mixture into 16 balls and brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turn falafels and bake for another 20 minutes until brown.
- While falafel are baking, mix all of the dill sauce ingredients together.
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix lettuce and tomato, fill each pita with ½ cup of the salad, then drizzle in some of the dill sauce.
- Top with 3 falafel and more dill sauce if needed.