This recipe for vanilla mocha donuts was a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Marisa Raponi. To qualify, she used 8 ingredients or less, including Coconut Milk Yogurt by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Marisa says, “This is delish, even without the frying, which makes it lower in calories and healthier! The dairy-free yogurt makes it really moist and soft inside.”
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vanilla Mocha Donuts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, and vegetarian. For a more wholesome breakfast treat, you might enjoy these mocha donuts if made with whole wheat pastry flour or whole grain white-wheat flour.
We have yet to test these baked mocha donuts gluten-free, but they may work well with your favorite gluten-free flour blend (best results if it contains a bit of binder, like xanthan gum – about a 1/2 teaspoon if you are adding it yourself).
For vegan mocha donuts, use your favorite egg replacer (powdered, flax egg, chia egg, 3 tablespoons applesauce, etc.). Baked donuts are fairly forgiving with an egg-free adaption. But to note, a powdered replacer will produce lighter results, pureed fruit will make for a more dense/moist crumb, and flax or chia eggs will keep them drier, but won’t provide the “lift” that powdered replacers will.
- ⅓ cup vanilla dairy-free yogurt alternative (like So Delicious Cultured Coconut Milk)
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 egg (see tips above for egg-free / vegan)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Blend yogurt, water, oil, egg, and extract together in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix together with a spatula.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring just until blended.
- Spoon batter into a sprayed 6 donut shaped baking sheet. Place onto a larger cookie baking sheet for stability.
- Bake for 10-12 min in a preheated 375ºF oven.
- Cool for 5 min. Loosen the sides with a sharp knife or toothpick. The bottom will be nicely browned.
- Optional Glaze: If desired, make this Coffee Glaze while the donuts cool. Allow the glaze to drip over a rack lined with wax paper for easy clean up or re-drizzling.