From casual gatherings with friends to outdoor athletic activities and leisurely time at home, all of the best summer pastimes have one thing in common: tasty treats make them more enjoyable. This caramel popcorn crunch, in particular, is reminiscent of sweet ballpark fare, but is dairy free for delicious fun anytime. I recommend it for your upcoming 4th of July festivities and to packing it along for hikes.
This caramel popcorn crunch recipe with photo was shared with us by The Popcorn Board.
Special Diet Notes: Caramel Popcorn Crunch
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For nut-free caramel popcorn crunch, substitute broken pretzel pieces (gluten free, if needed) for the walnuts.
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery sticks (like this one, but I often use the soy-free version_
- ½ cup firmly-packed brown sugar (can substitute coconut sugar for less sweet)
- 3 quarts (12 cups) air-popped popcorn*
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (see post above for nut-free option)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the buttery sticks and brown sugar until relatively light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Put the popcorn and walnuts in a large bowl. Add the buttery mixture and stir until the popcorn and nuts are well coated.
- Spread out the popcorn and nuts on a large baking sheet into a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cool leftovers completely before storing in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.