This delicious banana wheat bread is adapted from the Breakfast-Worthy Banana Bread recipe in Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook. The recipe in the book is void of added sweeteners and is naturally vegan. This version has a wonderful sweetness that tastes natural rather than sugary. And it’s still a very nutritious recipe to wake up to!
Both recipes are 100% whole grain and have a hearty, healthy finish. This isn’t light, fluffy bread. It’s rich, moist, and a little dense, but not doorstop heavy! And it’s very forgiving with slight modifications.
Customization Ideas: Banana Wheat Bread
You can definitely play around a little with the ingredients. But I would keep the formula in tact. Here are some ideas:
- Use white-wheat flour or spelt flour for the whole wheat flour. Both are 100% whole grain, but the white-wheat flour is a little lighter in taste and texture. And the spelt flour lends a nuttier flavor.
- Swap quick oats for the wheat germ or flaxseed.
- Replace the chopped nuts with dairy-free chocolate chips, raisins, or dried cranberries.
- Try some of the special diet substitutes mentioned below.
Special Diet Notes: Banana Wheat Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally nut-free.
For egg-free banana wheat bread, choose a quick bread option from my Egg Substitute Guide. And for strictly vegan, swap agave nectar or maple syrup for the honey. Or you can make the Breakfast-Worthy Banana Bread recipe in Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook, which is naturally egg-free and vegan!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I like white-wheat)
- ¼ cup wheat germ or ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups mashed bananas
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup extra-light olive oil (or your baking oil of choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (see notes above for egg-free and vegan options)
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and optionally line it with a sheet of parchment paper that overhangs on the long pan sides.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, wheat germ or flaxseed, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in dry ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the mashed banana, honey, oil, and vanilla with a hand mixer until relatively smooth. Add the eggs and beat to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the well of the dry ingredients, and stir just until combined. Fold in the nuts, if using.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared pan and even it out.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let the banana wheat bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then remove it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap and enjoy within 2 days. For longer storage, the bread can be frozen.