This delicious caramel sauce literally takes minutes to make. The recipe was originally shared with us by a fantastic website called Allergycooks. They’ve sadly since closed, but this sweet dessert topping lives on. It was originally created to serve sundae-style with sliced bananas and dairy-free vanilla ice cream. But it’s also amazing with stone fruit, served fresh, roasted or grilled.
5 Minute Dairy-Free Caramel Sauce that’s Rich and Buttery
According to the recipe creator, Lyle’s Golden Syrup is the secret to a rich, buttery, and satisfying dairy-free caramel sauce. But in a pinch, you can swap in non-GMO corn syrup or even maple syrup.
The brown sugar gives it a light butterscotch-y taste. But a light squeeze of lemon juice adds to the depth of flavor, and lends complement to various fruit pairings. It also cuts out the need for adding salt.
Special Diet Notes: 5 Minute Dairy-Free Caramel Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- ⅓ cup (75g) dairy-free buttery spread or sticks
- ¼ cup +2 tablespoons (75g) soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup (can sub corn syrup or maple syrup)
- Few drops lemon juice
- Put the butter alternative in a saucepan and heat gently until melted.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the temperature and simmer for 2 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice.