If anyone knows how to make perfect, everyday, basic vegan chocolate cupcakes, it would be the dynamic duo Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. This recipe was shared with us from their popular cookbook, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, in honor of Rosh Hashanah.
These basic vegan chocolate cupcakes are kosher parve, and pair well with your favorite dairy-free frosting. However, they really shine when topped with Isa and Terry’s vegan chocolate mousse frosting.
Special Diet Notes: Basic Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup soy milk or your favorite dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil or your favorite baking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract and almond extract. Beat till foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add in 2 batches to the wet ingredients. Beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are okay).
- Pour the batter into your liners, filling three-quarters of the way.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.