This creative basmati rice veggie burgers recipe is a sample from The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen by Donna Klein. Donna studied at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, and has written several cookbooks. All of her recipes are vegetarian, and she focuses on gluten-free cuisine, but she also has several vegan collections. This particular recipe is dairy-free, but it does use an egg. We’ve included an egg-free and vegan option below for those who need it.
Special Diet Notes: Basmati Rice Veggie Burgers
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- For egg-free and vegan burgers, I recommend using 3 tablespoons aquafaba in place of the egg.
- For nut-free, simply omit the pistachios from the mayonnaise.
- 6 tablespoons regular or vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ground pistachios or pistachio butter
- ½ teaspoon mild curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups cooked white or brown basmati rice
- ½ cup finely chopped cooked carrot, peas, or lentils
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon mild curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 dairy-free rolls (gluten-free, if needed)
- Romaine lettuce or spinach leaves (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, pistachio, curry, turmeric, salt, black pepper, and cayenne (if using).
- Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate and serve chilled.
- In a medium bowl, mix the rice, carrot (or peas or lentils), onion, egg, salt, pepper, curry powder, and cumin until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Shape the rice mixture into 6 balls and flatten slightly with your palms. Add the patties to the skillet and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- To serve, place a burger on the bottom half of each roll. Spread with equal amounts (about 4 teaspoons) of the mayonnaise. Top with lettuce (if using). Cover with the roll tops and serve at once.