A little over a month ago, I shared an everyday recipe for Plain Old Tots from Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer by Kathy Hester. Well Kathy has offered up another recipe, and it’s a perfect one for football season. Turn on the game and enjoy these Battered Air Fryer Onion Rings guilt free!
- Ranch Dressing (pictured here with the Air Fryer Onion Rings)
- Cauliflower Chorizo
- Cheesy Hot Sauce Collard Chips
- Bow Tie Pasta Chips
- Cajun French Fry Po’ Boy with Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- Weeknight Calzones
- Air-Fried Pupusas
- Southern Air-Fried Hush Puppies
- Quick and Easy Tofu Breakfast Sandwiches
- Date-Caramel Pecan Rolls
- Small Batch Brownies
- Mini Apple Fritters
All in all, there are 75 comfort food recipes, including these Battered Vegan Air Fryer Onion Rings …
Special Diet Notes: Battered Air Fryer Onion Rings
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup (113 g) whole wheat flour (*use brown rice flour)
- 2 tbsp (14 g) organic cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 tsp (2 g) salt
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1⁄8 tsp ground black pepper
- ¾ cup (177 ml) vegan beer or nondairy milk
- ¼ cup (59 ml) aquafaba (page 22)
- 1 cup (62 g) panko breadcrumbs (*gluten-free)
- 1 large sweet onion (150 g), sliced
- ¼-inch (6-mm) thick and separated into rings
- Spray oil (**optional)
- Mix the flour, starch, salt, garlic, cayenne if using, paprika and black pepper in a medium-size mixing bowl. Once combined well, add the beer and aquafaba and mix again. Add the breadcrumbs to a flat pan.
- Dip a few onion rings into the batter, let the excess drain off, then press in the breadcrumbs. Layer into your air fryer basket. Repeat until your air fryer basket is about half full, alternating layers so only a couple of edges overlap.
- You can add some water to your batter if it starts to thicken too much.
- Spray with oil, if desired. Cook at 330°F (166°C) for 5 minutes, then cook at 370°F (188°C) for 5 minutes more, or until brown and crispy. Repeat until all the onion rings are cooked.
**soy-free, no oil added option
This sample recipe is reprinted with permissions from Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer: 75 Incredible Comfort Food Recipes with Half the Calories by Kathy Hester.