These Bavarian pretzel bites were my first foray into homemade pretzels, and I wasn’t disappointed. The recipe was submitted by Katherine as a Savory entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
Since I have tested and approved this recipe for Bavarian Pretzel Bites as one I would repeat, I’ve added it to the “Alisa’s Recipes” section. Here are my personal notes on the recipe:
Whole Grain: Katherine’s original recipe used just all-purpose flour, but to qualify for snacking, we tested all baked savories with whole grain flour, too. The all-purpose tastes much more authentic and is more tender, but I also enjoyed these when made with white-wheat flour which is 100% whole grain, but softer than standard red hard wheat flour. That said, wheat dough can be a little more stubborn, and the pretzel bites won’t keep as long. To remedy this, I recommend replacing up to 1/4 cup of the flour with wheat gluten when using a whole wheat flour.
No Rise! I love that this recipe can be made relatively quickly. Like pizza dough, these pretzel bites can be baked up right after the dough is prepared and shaped.
Delightful Dip: I don’t usually like yogurt of any kind in dips, but this combination really worked. It’s a nice sweet contrast to the pretzel bites, and leftovers can even be used as a veggie dip or salad dressing.
Special Diet Notes: Bavarian Pretzel Bites with Honey Mustard Dip
By ingredients this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
For nut-free pretzel bites, you can substitute coconut milk beverage for the almond milk beverage.
For egg-free pretzel bites, use an egg yolk substitute, such as Vegg, or swap in about 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise, dairy-free yogurt, banana, or mashed pumpkin – yes, all should work just fine! For the egg white, simply use additional milk beverage to “wash” the pretzel bites.
For vegan pretzel bites, follow the egg-free substitutions and also use agave nectar in place of the honey in the dip.
- 1½ cups lukewarm So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus Milk Beverage
- 1 package (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour or white-wheat flour (see Alisa's Notes above)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 large egg, separated (see Special Diet Notes above for vegan option)
- ¼ cup non-hydrogenated shortening or coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Kosher salt, for sprinkling
- ⅔ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Cultured Coconut Milk
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk beverage and yeast together and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using standard mixer with a dough hook, combine the flour, brown sugar, and table salt. Mix in the egg yolk, shortening, and yeast mixture on low speed until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 to 7 minutes. If preparing the dough by hand, stir the ingredients together and kneed the dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large, shallow baking dish, combine the baking soda with 2 cups of warm water.
- On a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough into 6 pieces. Using your hands, roll each piece into a thick rope. If the dough springs back too much, let it rest for a few more minutes.
- Dip each piece into the baking soda mixture for 30 seconds, then cut each piece into 10 pretzels, and put them on the prepared pans.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Brush the pretzels with the egg white mixture, sprinkle with kosher salt, and bake until deep golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a medium-bowl until well blended.
- Serve with the Bavarian Pretzel Bites.