This recipe for Italian meatball soup is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Kim Van Dunk. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Italian Meatball Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. If gluten-free is not a concern for your family, you can use wheat bread in place of the gluten-free bread.
For tree nut-free Italian meatball soup, simply replace the almond milk with Coconut Milk Beverage.
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 2¼ cups organic jarred tomato sauce (I used a sauteed onion and garlic variety)
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Milk, divided
- 2½ cups sliced carrots (1/4" thick coins)
- 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt, divided**
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 slices gluten free bread (Udi's White Loaf)
- 1 pound lean groun turkey (white meat)
- 4 cups finely chopped kale leaves
- Place the stock, tomato sauce, and ⅔ cup almond milk into a soup pot. Whisk together.
- Add in the sliced carrots, beans, ½ teaspoon sea salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Place the bread slices into a bowl. Cover with the remaining ⅓ cup almond milk. Allow to sit for 2 minutes. Mash up with a fork to create a paste. Stir in ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Fold in the ground turkey meat. Form miniature meatballs (about 1 teaspoon is size). Drop the meatballs directly into the soup.
- Cook the soup for 1 hour.
- Turn the heat off. Stir in the chopped kale. Serve.