Although I love to try new foods when we eat out, beef and broccoli is still my all-time favorite at Chinese restaurants. I searched for a restaurant-style recipe, and eventually landed on this one. It is good, and the closest I have found thus far. It makes quite a bit of sauce, so you can halve the sauce if you are low on ingredients.
Special Diet Notes: Beef and Broccoli
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, optionally peanut-free, and optionally soy-free. Several oyster sauce brands are nut-free and soy-free, but be sure to check the label.
- 1 pound flank steak, partially frozen
- ½ cup oyster sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons mirin or cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil or your favorite high heat cooking oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- ½ cup diagonally sliced green onions
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Cut the partially frozen flank steak across the grain to make very thin 2x1-inch strips.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oyster sauce, water, mirin and starch until the starch is dissolved. Whisk in the crushed red pepper flakes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the beef and stir-fry until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove the beef to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Heat the same skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the broccoli and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Turn the heat to high, add the bell pepper and green onion, and stir-fry for an additional 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the beef. Give the sauce a quick whisk and add it to the skillet. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve over brown or white rice.
Key Pantry Supplies: Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry