This berried treasure dessert recipe is an entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Anita Archibald. She tops the dessert with Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt from So Delicious.
Anita says, “Since a child I have anticipated berry picking season and have fond memories of hunting out the biggest, juiciest, brightest berries with my mom in our berry patch. Most of my basket of berries never made it home, but were destined for my tummy as we walked back to the kitchen to bake some fresh fruit pies. This berried treasure dessert incorporates two of my favourite berries and can be whipped up quickly on the grill yet appears classy enough for your dinner guests!”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Berried Treasure
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Just be selective in the margarine you use, opting for a dairy-free, soy-free variety.
For a gluten-free and dairy-free berried treasure dessert, use a gluten-free Kaiser bun, such as the packaged ones from Katz Bakery.
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup assorted raw nuts (i.e. Brazil nuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, or filberts)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Creamer
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large Kaiser roll
- Dairy-free margarine
- 2 tablespoons almond paste
- Fresh strawberries
- ½ Cup So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla or Unsweetened Cultured Coconut Milk|http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/cultured-coconut-milk/unsweetened-cultured-coconut-milk]
- ⅓ teaspoon almond extract
- Powdered sugar
- Set grill to medium heat. Whisk egg white in a large bowl until foamy. Toss nuts with egg white, salt, brown sugar, coconut milk creamer, oil, honey and stir together until well combined and spread on cookie tray.
- Place tray on grill and close lid for 30 minutes until toasted and fragrant. Stir nuts and close lid for another 15 minutes.
- Combine cultured coconut milk with almond extract.
- "Butter" both sides of bun with dairy-free margarine and grill until toasted and grill marks appear. Cut a ring out of center of top bun half. Put halves together and scoop almond paste into well of bun topped with cultured coconut milk, berries, 2 tablespoons grilled nuts and a dusting of powdered sugar. Dessert is served!