It’s time to shake up your morning routine with some breakfast polenta! This creamy warm cereal is swirled with a fresh berry compote and is a sample recipe from Jackie Sobon’s latest cookbook, Vegan Yack Attack on the Go!
This hardback, full-color cookbook is an energizing array of recipes for busy lifestyles. Jackie has filled every page with nutritious ingredients, but she keeps preparation simple and convenient.
For at-a-glance ease, each recipe in Vegan Yack Attack on the Go! has labels for additional dietary needs and busy demands. They include under 10 ingredients, 30 minutes or less, gluten free, soy free, nut free, oil free, and others. And of course, all of the recipes are dairy-free, egg-free, meat-free, plant-based, and strictly vegan.
Vegan Yack Attack on the Go! contains a little over 100 recipes in total. Here is a breakdown of the chapters along with a few sample recipe titles from each chapter:
- Vegan Eating Made Easy (quick intro with helpful tips & tricks)
- Quick Breakfasts, Snacks, and Treats (Creamy Berry-Full Polenta (recipe below!), Cheezy Chickpea Scramble, Pumpkin Maple Donut Holes)
- Prep-Ahead Recipes (Vanilla Chip Buckwheat Bars, Teriyaki Mushroom Jerky, Freezer Black Bean Burritos)
- Lunch Box Stuffers (BBQ Tempeh Wrap, Stuffed Deli Sandwich, Shiitake Spring Rolls)
- Meals in 30 Minutes or Less (Butternut Mac and Trees, Pressure Cooker Pesto Spaghetti Squash, Spicy Jackfruit Chili)
- Bulk Cooking (Drop Biscuit Pot Pie, Green Enchilada Casserole, Cheezy Potato Onion Pierogi)
- Food on the Move (Shake & Bake Bacon Brussels, Apple Fennel Sausage Grill Packets, Chocolate Chunk Oats on the Go)
- Make Your Own Staples (Buckwheat Taco Meat, Simple Cashew Cream (recipe below!), Nut-Free Pepita Pesto)
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Berry-Full Breakfast Polenta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. The polenta is also nut-free if you opt to skip the cashew cream and use a nut-free milk beverage.
- 2 cups (470 ml) unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 1 cup (140 g) polenta grits
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (145 g) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (140 g) fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Simple Cashew Cream (recipe below; omit for nut-free)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the nondairy milk and water to a boil. Stir in the polenta grits, and adjust the heat to medium-low. Cook—covered but vented, stirring occasionally—for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the polenta is creamy. Stir in the maple syrup, and add salt to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- While the polenta is cooking, warm the blueberries, blackberries, and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, adjust the heat to medium-low, and cook until the berries start to break down, about 10 minutes. Lightly mash the berries if they are not breaking apart.
- Divide the creamy polenta between 4 bowls, and top each with some berry mixture. Dollop 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of Simple Cashew Cream on top of each bowl (if using), and serve warm.
Copyright: Reprinted with permissions from Vegan Yack Attack On The Go! by Jackie Sobon. © 2018 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2018 Jackie Sobon. First Published in 2018 by Fair Winds Press, an imprint of The Quarto Group, 100 Cummings Center, Suite 265-D, Beverly, MA 01915, USA.
- 1 cup (140 g) raw cashews
- ⅓ – ½ cup (80–120 ml) water
- Pinch salt
- Soak cashews in boiling hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse cashews, then place them in blender with ⅓ cup (80 ml) water, to start, plus salt. Blend until completely smooth, adding more water if your blender is struggling.
- Refrigerate until ready to use, it will continue to thicken as it cools. Keeps for 7 to 10 days in refrigerator.