Back in 2008, a little dairy-free ice cream brand emerged, called Sid Wiggy’s Coconut Creations. They had cool flavors like Vanilla Voodoo, Caribbean Coffee, and Coconut’n Else. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to scale up in distribution, so the company didn’t last long. But they did share this favorite berry coconut protein shake recipe with us, which can still be enjoyed any day. It’s a “healthy smoothie meets indulgent milkshake” treat that happens to be dairy-free and vegan! Today I’ve updated this old recipe and post for your enjoyment. I’ve also added tips and options to suit various dietary needs and the ingredients you have on hand.
Special Diet Notes: Berry Coconut Protein Shake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
For banana-free, you can swap 1/2 cup chopped frozen mango for the banana. Be sure to use a low-to-no fiber mango like Honey / Ataulfo, Keitt, or Kent.
- 1 cup coconut-based dairy-free ice cream (a vanilla, coconut, or berry flavor)
- 1 cup dairy-free coconut milk beverage or lite coconut milk
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and halved, or blueberries
- 1 scoop plain or vanilla dairy-free protein powder (use ½ scoop if less "powdery" is preferred)
- 1 ripe banana, broken into pieces and frozen (see post above for banana-free option)
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, for garnish (optional)
- Put the ice cream, coconut milk, berries, protein powder, and banana in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Divide the shake between 2 glasses and top with shredded coconut, if desired.