Way back in 2006, Imperfect Mommy shared this wonderful recipe for “Toll house style” vegan chocolate chip cookies with us. According to her, they’re “the best dairy-, egg-, and nut-free chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever taste!” This recipe has since been reprinted on numerous vegan blogs and sites without credits, but it was the Imperfect Mommy who whipped it up first!
In the very first versions of this vegan chocolate chip cookies recipe, raisins or chopped Scharffen Berger baking bars were used for the add-ins. Back then, dairy-free chocolate chips were scarce. I’ve updated her recipes since you can find a few good vegan brands these days. But I recommend Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips or Chunks for nut-safe, allergy-friendly needs, too.
Special Diet Notes: The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup dairy-free buttery sticks (she uses Earth Balance) or shortening
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup plain dairy-free rice, soy or flax milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 10-ounce bag dairy-free chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease or line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the buttery sticks and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the milk beverage, and cream well, then blend in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to your mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Fold in the chocolate chips or chunks.
- Drop the dough by the tablespoon onto your prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets before removing the cookies to cooling racks.
More Nut-Free Vegan Cookies
Iced Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Cranberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Holiday Sandwich Cookies in 4 Varieties (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)