This moist and delicious slow cooker vegan apple cinnamon bread pudding recipe was shared with us by Rudi’s Bakery. It takes just minutes to prepare, and is a great make ahead dessert that is delicious with dairy-free ice cream.
Unlike traditional bread pudding, this recipe is made without dairy and eggs. Eggs, in particular, create structure in bread pudding. Consequently, this bread pudding has a different texture that doesn’t “set” in the same way. But it’s an equally delicious dessert – particularly if you don’t like the egg-y-ness of bread pudding.
This recipe was originally shared with us by Rudi’s Bakery. All Rudi’s breads, wheat and gluten-free, are made without dairy. But their gluten-free bread contains eggs, so it isn’t vegan.
Special Diet Notes: Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 9 vegan bread slices (gluten-free, if needed)
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery spread
- 3 apples*, sliced or diced (optionally peeled)
- 1 cup apple juice
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup honey or agave nectar (for strictly vegan)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup walnuts (optional; omit for nut-free)
- Spread the buttery spread on the bread slices and place under a broiler until nicely browned.
- Cut the bread into chunks
- Place the toasted bread, apples, apple juice, raisins, honey or agave, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in your slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Set the slow cooker to LOW and leave to cook for 5 to 6 hours. Check in and stir the bread pudding around the 3 to 4 hour mark.
- Stir in the walnuts (if using) before serving.