Move over kale, the banana celery smoothie is here! Celery is well known for its high water content and low calories, but it’s also a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. In fact, celery has been touted for it’s high antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits for the digestive tract. Plus, it’s relatively inexpensive, easy to find, and we think it tastes way better than kale, too!
This Banana Celery Smoothie is a Dairy-Free Superfood Blend
Here are some quick ingredient notes and options, just in case you want to mix things up!
- Bananas: Most of us love bananas for their sweet taste and creamy texture in smoothies. (Use riper bananas for the sweetest taste.) But they also have a unique mix of vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates that aids in both digestive health and athletic performance. And I don’t care that bananas aren’t the highest potassium food – they still work miracles with calf cramps! Nevertheless, if you need banana-free, you can substitute mango for the banana. Use about 1 1/2 cups cubed mango.
- Celery: This mild vegetable doesn’t have a big influence on the flavor of this smoothie, but some of you might notice it’s clean fresh taste a little. You can use the celery leaves, too. They are edible.
- Nut Milk: If you don’t have any milk beverage on hand, or want to keep this banana celery smoothie very clean, you can simply use more nut butter. Increase the nut or seed butter to 2 tablespoons, and use 1 cup water in place of the nut milk.
- Chia Seeds: Did you know chia seeds are high in dairy-free calcium?! In fact, one serving of this smoothie naturally contains over 100 milligrams of calcium. A fortified milk beverage will add even more.
- Maca Powder: In consider this ingredient optional. When I tried this banana celery smoothie recipe, I didn’t have any on hand. I thought it was good without!
- Sweetener: If your bananas aren’t ripe enough, you might want to sweeten this smoothie a little. I like to add just a pinch of stevia to brighten the flavor, but you can add your sweetener of choice.
Special Diet Notes: Banana Celery Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For nut-free banana celery smoothies, substitute your favorite dairy-free, nut-free milk beverage for the nut milk, and use the seed butter or hemp seeds option.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 cup nut milk (Brazil nut milk is great, but almond milk is also a good option)
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon nut butter, seed butter, or hulled hemp seeds / hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 cup ice
- Put the bananas, celery, nut mlk, chia seeds, nut butter or seeds, maca powder, and ice in your blender. Puree until smooth.
- Divide the smoothie between two glasses.