This easiest dairy-free hot chocolate recipe comes from Sarah Hatfield of the humerous and non-dairy blog, No Whey, Mama.
Sarah got the idea for using marshmallow creme from a Diane Mott Davidson novel. It’s a nice whipped cream-type replacement for dairy-free cocoa.
Special Diet Notes: Easiest Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, and peanut-free. Optionally soy-free, nut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, depending on how chocolatey you would like it to be
- dash salt
- 1 cup vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- marshmallows or marshmallow creme, optional* (regular or vegan)
- Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a large mug.
- Heat the milk in the microwave on high for 90 seconds or until hot.
- Gradually add hot milk to cocoa mixture in mug, stirring until well blended.
- Top with marshmallows or marshmallow creme, if desired. Makes one serving.