This easy black grape sorbet is an unexpectedly sweet but savory dairy-free treat. Of course, you can add more sugar, if desired, but the recipe as is really lets the fruit shine. Black grapes can be found during several seasons, but the best varieties for sorbet can be found in spring (Starletta) and summer into September (Midnight Beauty). These are some of the sweetest, most tender varieties and offer better dessert appeal.
You may note the addition of vodka in this black grape sorbet recipe. The touch of alcohol isn’t intended to overwhelm, but rather it helps to prevent ice crystals from forming when frozen.
This black grape sorbet recipe with photo was shared with us by GrapesfromCalifornia.com.
Special Diet Notes: Black Grape Sorbet
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and food allergy-friendly.
For a paleo black grape sorbet, swap in your favorite paleo-approved sweetener, such as honey.
- 1½ pounds (4 cups) black California seedless grapes, washed and stemmed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 large basil leaves
- Pinch of salt
- In a food processor or blender, puree grapes and sugar until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the mixture has reduced by about one-third, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the vodka, lemon juice, basil and salt then let cool to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow pan and freeze until hard, about 3 to 4 hours.
- Transfer the sorbet to a food processor or blender and process until smooth and creamy, and lightened in color. Serve immediately.