Quick Quinoa Flakes, like Norquin brand, are ready in two minutes and offers an excellent protein breakfast that’s easy and portable. But they are great for more than breakfast cereal. This Blackberry Pear Crumble uses quinoa flakes in place of the oats for a gluten-free, oat-free dessert.
Special Diet Notes: Oat-Free Blackberry Pear Crumble
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1⅓ cups brown rice flour
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted dairy-free buttery sticks or margarine, cut into small pieces
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen blackberries
- 2 pounds firm Forelle or D’Anjou pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-GMO cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and grease a 12-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, brown sugar, quinoa flakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the buttery sticks or margarine and whisk or blend with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the frozen blackberries and pears with the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice until no more starch is visible.
- Transfer the fruit to your prepared baking dish. Evenly spread the crumble topping over the fruit.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown and fruit juices bubble, about 45 minutes.