This butternut squash quinoa is one of those fun recipes that bridges the seasons. Blueberries are still on stores shelves, but can be picked up frozen in the cooler months. Earthy butternut squash is just heading into peak season, but likewise, is available pretty much year round. Enjoy it as a holiday side, light vegetarian meal, or for lunch boxes.
For a more convenient butternut squash quinoa, the squash can usually be purchased pre-cubed in the refrigerated section of supermarkets (it can be a bear to cut!). Also, if you are looking for more of a summer salad than a warm side, simply chill the butternut squash quinoa for a few hours.
If arugula isn’t readily available, baby spinach leaves can also be substituted. If you prefer wilted greens, add them to the quinoa while it is still hot or warm.
Special Diet Notes: Butternut Squash Quinoa
By ingredients, this recipes is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and generally food allergy-friendly.
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup uncoooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1½ cups Chilean blueberries
- Dairy-free crumbly cheese alternative (such as nut feta or tofu feta; optional)
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, toss squash with 1 tablespoon oil. Spread on rimmed baking sheet; bake until tender, about 22 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender. Remove from heat and cover; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked squash, green onions, arugula, blueberries, and quinoa. Drizzle with the dressing, and toss to combine.
- If desired, crumble with a little dairy-free cheese alternative.
Helpful Ingredients & Tools: Butternut Squash Quinoa