The original version of this delicious blueberry banana pear smoothie incorporates both fresh juicing and smoothie blending. Since I don’t have a blender, I make it purely in my blender, with “pulp” as the author states. This provides more fiber and a thicker smoothie. You can enjoy it either way since we’ve included both options in the recipe!
Blueberry Banana Pear Smoothie to Blend into Your Morning Routine
This recipe is adapted from The Complete Idiot’s Guide for Juicing, by Ellen Brown. We originally shared it way back in 2007, when this book was released. But we’ve since updated it, and I have a few tips and options.
- Spice: I like cinnamon with this fruit blend, but ginger is equally delicious. You can add a little, do a straight substitute of ground ginger for the cinnamon, or omit the dried spices and add small chunk of fresh ginger. If juicing, run the fresh ginger through your juicer with the blueberries and pears.
- Milk Beverage: I’ve tested this recipe with hemp milk, oat milk, and almond milk. All were great. This is such a fruit-forward recipe that most types of dairy-free milk beverage will be delicious. For paleo, you can use lite canned coconut milk.
- Fresh or Frozen: The original recipe uses all fresh fruit, for a thin, sipping smoothie. I prefer thicker smoothies, so I use frozen bananas. You can alternatively use frozen blueberries, or use both frozen bananas and frozen blueberries for a thick smoothie bowl base.
Special Diet Notes: Blueberry Banana Pear Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the milk beverage that suits your dietary needs.
- 1½ cups blueberries
- 2 pears, cored and cut into quarters
- 2 bananas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup plain or vanilla dairy-free milk beverage
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Push the blueberries and pears through a juicer, and process until juiced.
- Pour the juice into your blender and add the bananas, milk beverage, and cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
- Divide the smoothie between two glasses.