This antioxidant and omega-3 rich blueberry blast smoothie was submitted by Judith Perkins as a Sippable entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
We couldn’t think of a better way to rocket into the school year than a blueberry blast smoothie loaded with antioxidant-stocked fruit, protein, and high-Omega-3 seeds. Smoothies go down easy in the morning, and provide just enough get up and go energy!
Special Diet Notes: Blueberry Blast Smoothie
Flax Note: The original recipe for this blueberry blast smoothie contained 1/2 cup flaxseed, or 1/4 cup per serving. Since this amount of flax can cause digestive upset for many who don’t regularly consume lots of flaxseed (and some are concerned regarding studies of high flax consumption), I reduced the amount to a more standard serving size. Note that you can also substitute the flaxseeds with chia seeds, which are also high in omega 3’s plus calcium.
- 1½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen
- ¾ cup pineapple, frozen
- ½ grapefruit, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 peach, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup hemp protein
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ground flax seed
- ½ cup ice cubes
- Optional garnish: grapefruit wedge and mint sprig
- Place all ingredients, except the optional garnish, in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into 2 large glasses. Garnish with grapefruit wedge and fresh mint sprig, if desired.