This recipe for chicken spirals stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes and served on ciabatta with crispy beet chips is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Anita Archibald. For the filling and flavorful mayo, she uses Almond Greek-Style Yogurt and Barista-Style Coconut Creamer from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Chicken Spirals on Ciabatta with Beet Chips
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, and soy-free.
For tree nut-free and dairy-free chicken spirals, So Delicious offers Coconut Milk Greek-Style Yogurt to use in place of the Almond Milk Yogurt.
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Greek Cultured Almond Milk Yogurt
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- ½ cup golden Greek pepperoncini
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Lime Pale Lager, or preferred lager
- ½ sweet Vidalia onion, sliced in rings
- 2 large beets, one yellow and one red
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free Barista Style Original Coconut Creamer
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Lime Pale Lager, or preferred lager
- 1 teaspoon honey Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 olive ciabatta loaf
- Fresh basil leaves
- Pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons diced roasted sweet pepper strips (drained)
- In blender, puree Almond Milk Yogurt, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, pepperoncini, oregano, sugar and salt until smooth.
- Slice chicken breast in half, lengthwise, making sure not to cut all the way through. Pound chicken between two sheets of parchment paper until flattened. Spoon a few tablespoons of garlic sun-ripened tomato filling all over chicken and roll jelly-roll style, securing with toothpicks.
- In non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, add oil and then chicken roll. Brown on all sides, reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and add ½ cup lager and onion rings, allowing roll to simmer for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Slice roll to reveal spiral filling. Pour pan juices in cup and set aside to drizzle over chicken spirals once sandwich is assembled.
- Use mandolin to slice beets into 1/16 inch thick slices. Toss with oil and place on parchment lined cookie sheet, stacking another sheet on top acting as a lid. Place in preheated oven set to 350ºF and roast for 20 minutes. Remove upper cookie sheet, rotate bottom sheet and bake another 15 - 20 minutes. Remove beet chips as they become crisp and darker around the edges. Cool on wire rack to allow them to crisp up.
- Mix egg yolk, mustard and beer in a bowl adding oil a little drizzle at a time, whisking (by hand) constantly. Keep whisking until desired mayo consistency is reached. Add Barista Style Coconut Creamer.
- Slice olive ciabatta in half, and in half horizontally. Layer some beer braised onions followed by 3 chicken spiral slices, a few teaspoons of pan juices, basil leaves, mixed greens, diced red pepper, pine nuts and some freshly ground black pepper. Repeat with other half of olive ciabatta to make second serving.
- Side with the yellow and red beets chips along with some dijon beer mayo for dipping. Bon Appetit!