This Banana Wheat Bread is an excellent breakfast bread, and a great way to use up those over-ripe bananas. Somewhat dense and full of some nutrients to keep you going, not just sugar.
Special Diet Notes: Banana Wheat Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally nut-free.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup wheat germ or ground flaxseed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups mashed bananas
- ¼ cup extra light olive oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan & preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the oil, honey, eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, salt, and baking soda. Make a well in dry ingredients, and add the banana mixture. Mix together until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in the nuts, if desired, and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Bread is done once a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.